How Much Weight You Should Gain During Pregnancy? Here are the answers:
- If you are normal weight before pregnancy, average weight gain may be 25 to 35 pounds (about 11 to 16 kg) during pregnancy.
- If you are overweight before pregnancy, your doctor may advise you to gain only 15 to 25 pounds (about 7 to 11 kg).
- If you are underweight before pregnancy, your doctor may advise you to gain 28 to 40 pounds (about 13 to 18 kg).
- If you are having more than one baby (twins, triplets, or more), your health care provider may suggest that you gain more weight during pregnancy, often 35 to 40 pounds (about 16 to 18 kg).
- The weight gains listed are only averages. Your doctor will monitor your weight and tell you what your individual weight goals should be.
- Get some exercise every day. Talk to your doctor about the best exercise for you.
—- from First5 Advice for New Parents